Are you interested in becoming an RA?
Resident Advisors or Recreation Assistants are essential parts to the JL program. We depend upon committed, motivated and enthusiastic resident advisors and recreation assistants – RA’s keep the program moving forward and lend their life experience and strengths to make Jacob’ Ladder a program that Climbers will remember for the rest of their lives!
if you are interested in becoming an RA, please read about the job requirements below. You may then download the activities interest and application form.
- Live on dorm with academically gifted, at-risk children ages 9-13.
- Provide for a safe, structured, consistent, caring environment.
- Lead, counsel, nurture a small group (6-8) of assigned children.
- Attend and participate in RA training period before children arrive
- To achieve objectives of Jacob’s Ladder, intensive planning is required during RA orientation training time before children arrive. Successful training and planning necessitates that each RA will bring experience to, and actively participate in, organization, planning, charting of activities and schedules. This is a “practical must” for each RA.
- Recreation: Written plans and ability to carry out/lead age appropriate recreation for at-risk children.
- Become thoroughly familiar with and committed to objectives of Jacob’s Ladder through study of RA Handbook and leadership/instruction provided by Jacob’s Ladder staff.
Each Resident Advisor will also need:
- A willing team spirit –A devotion to others is necessary to support the Jacob’s Ladder program in general, plus the staff and fellow Resident Advisors, and to meet the needs of very bright, at-risk children.
- Physical Stamina.
- Emotional and spiritual health “in place” before you arrive.
- Experience with children and a true appreciation of children.
Application/activity interest form may be mailed to:
P.O. Box 555
Urbanna, VA 23175
Faxed to 804-758-8175, or sent via email to the address on the form.